Monday, April 23, 2012

Are you using industry jargon in your conversations with clients?


If so, this blog is something that you need to read.

The use of jargon or slang can be a total turn off for people that don’t understand what you mean when you are using it. Over the years I’ve been in a number of industries and I’ve fallen prey to this. In one of the industries we used the abbreviation B.R.P., which stood for balance rock pitched. Can you imagine being in a conversation and somebody throws out B.R.P.? Talk about confusing someone, isn’t it?

This morning I was talking to a web-site host company and the man I spoke to started throwing out numerous initials and terminology in his explanation to me. I stopped him and said “I think you are speaking to me in a foreign language.” This got his attention and then he started to explain things to me in my terms. I believe that he was lucky that I stopped him. But how many times have people forgot to stop you and they just decided to do business with someone else.

I hope that you would consider my ‘rant’. It is for your own good.

The question is; when will you take jargon out of your conversations with clients?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors