Wednesday, July 11, 2012

What type of service do you offer?

This question is due to a recent experience with my internet provider.

I was having a small challenge so I called their service department. Sadly the technical support person did not know anything about service or listening skills. Every time I said something, his response was ‘I agree with you, but…’ It is the ‘but’ that was the challenge. When people say the word ‘but’ after agreeing what they are saying is ‘but you are wrong’. All that he had to say was ‘I agree with you, and did you consider this‘. Then he would have had me, and we could have had a discussion.

The next time you are in a discussion with someone of the opposite view, watch yourself and the other person for how many times the word ‘but’ is used. Then change your response from the word ‘but’ to ‘and’ and you will see an improvement in how the other person listens to you.

When can you do this, today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors