Sunday, May 29, 2011

“We are closed! We close at 8 o’clock!”


That is what greeted me at a local big box store the other day. My first indication was to look at it humorously by stating, “No your not, the sign in your window says open.” The employee was not happy with me pointing out the obvious. Then she said, ‘You’ll have to come back tomorrow.”

This conversation made me think about how we train our employees in the use of the words they speak.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn’t it have been better to say to me; “Sorry we can’t help you right now, we are in the process of closing. We are open again at 8:00 tomorrow morning, and close at 6:00 tomorrow night. We would be glad to serve you some time tomorrow. That is okay, isn't it?”

Do these comments appear to be from one who is service oriented?

How can you educate your staff to be more focused on the potential customer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors