Thursday, June 30, 2011

Is there a need to develop rapport when you meet a potential client?


Of course there is, but are you doing it properly?

I remember a sales course years ago that said when you go into someone’s office you should find something interesting to talk about. Years later I walked into a business executive’s office (frankly unprepared) and noticed a particular picture on the wall, so I decided to ask about the picture. It was then that I realized how tough that this appointment was going to be. The man I was talking to me called me out on my fake interest in his life.

I know that every interview should begin with an icebreaker, but are we choosing the right type?

Do you ask about the local sports team? What if they are not interested in that?

Do you talk about the weather? Is this too boring?

What if you asked them a question about something of personal interest (for example their business or their industry)? This will work if you are prepared in advance for any answer they might give.

Doesn’t this make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors