Monday, August 22, 2011

What does the new movie ‘Contagion’ have to do with marketing?


It is my understanding that this upcoming action film is based on a threat posed by a deadly disease.

It is my belief that there is a deadly disease that is permeating many business owners’ minds. I call this ‘thought contagion’. Thought contagion is the unproven view that because something is popular it’s true or at least justified.

Let me give you a real-life example. There are companies right now that have bought into marketing what they do by having a web-site. Yes, this is popular, but I believe it is very ineffective. At least by the way many appear to be designed and worded.

Why do I say that? It is because all of the sites look alike. The have their company name at the top of the front page and then they speak eloquently about how long the business has been in existence or how good they are. They are so focused on themselves that they have forgotten about the potential customer. This is due to their effort to appear special or unique.

Is your focus on your business instead of the potential customer in any of your marketing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors